Day 20 - Water Marble

I was dreading this day in the 30 Days of Untried Challenge. Water Marble. One of my biggest fears. It's terribly messy, time consuming and real hard to make it look good. It's all about the technique really, and mine just suck. But a water marble it should have been - and a water marble it is. Oh, and one untried polish too - China Glaze Rainbow.
So I started with some sponging. At least that's a technique I can handle.

I started with a coat of Milani - White on the spot, a perfect one coater white polish. I then used my sponge and drew three lines on it using Sally Hansen's Xtreme Wear polishes in Blue me away and Mellow Yellow and Chic number 262. I was trying to create some sort of rainbow when the colors mix but I forgot the purple. I don't know how it happened. I guess I was too nervous about the water marble to think straight.
Once my gradient was dry and top coated - I started to drip my polish into the water cup. I used China Glaze Liquid Leather and China Glaze Rainbow, knowing the rainbow will be sheer enough to show the gradient sponge under it. I am not very happy with the result, but I guess it could be worse. And I seriously think I am not going to try another water marble any time soon...




21 comments :

Agia said...

They are actually very pretty :) I think next time I would need to try this technique as well, as mine water marble is just terrible :/

Gosia said...

Holy shit!!!! Are you effing kidding me??? I'm not saying that because you're my bestie... i'm really not.. but this is THE BEST water marble I have seen so far!!! And nail junkie that I am I look at a lot of nails... this is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I love how this technique looks! Did you find that the CG Rainbow polish seemed to dry too quickly on the water? I've tried this before and had a difficult time with that...

Amy (Polish and Such) said...

I absolutely love this!!!!

May said...

I feel the same way about water marbling, except mine turned out poopy. You are a crazy woman. These are amazing, from the gradient to the polishes you chose to marble with & the technique. I have no more words, other than: Should you decide to water marble again, please share the pictures!

Unknown said...

Love these! What a great idea!

Polished & Glittered said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!!! I love the gradient underneath the marbling <3

GabbyGlitch said...

These are stunning! I dont see anything wrong with them... I love them.

Andrea said...

I can't believe your first water marble looks that amazing!! I know mine wouldn't. My hubby just asked me if I could do this? Ummmm. No! Lol. I am seriously going to have eto try, though. . . .you are an inspiration!! :)

Tintin said...

Great combo, you did a great job.

Liesl said...

Wow, Jin, this looks amazing! You had me at the gradient, but then your marbling... SO gorgeous and complex. Just lovely.

Anonymous said...

This is awesome and you're crazy if you don't love it. Best one I've seen. I'm going to try to copy you... Wish me luck cuz my watermarbles actually do suck.

Erin said...

Holy crap! These are amazing! I suck at water marble too, so I know exactly how you feel but wow! These nails are stunning!

Erin said...

Oh! I also love how you did a gradient first. That's genius! I am going to have to try it sometime!

M. Fourey said...

Are you kidding?! The idea is genius! And the finished result is gorgeous, really complex and fun! Lov lov lov it!

Amelia said...

OMG this totally took my breath away as I scrolled down - I was NOT expecting that. Sensational xx

Yun, The Polish Hideout said...

Oh my, this is gorgeous, Jin! I love it! :D

~ Yun

Unknown said...

What a unique technique! ( did I just rhyme?). Love them!

ahhhdri said...

So gorgeous, Jin!

oomph. said...

Thi is so pretty! Looks difficult to do, but well worth it!


[oomph.]

Eclipse said...

Omg I think this is gorgeous! It makes me want to get out of bed and do this now! If only I hadn't just finished doing a glitter mani.......lol. Seriously though, I love it.

Post a Comment

I love comments and I appreciate each one of yours!
I would love to hear from you but please, refrain from posting links. If you have a link that you want me to see - just email me :)
Thank you so much!